Search this blog

Wednesday, 14 October 2009

Time for Thyme

Common Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris (Lat.), Tijm (Nl.), Thym (Fr.))

When I smell the sweet aroma of Thyme, my thoughts are immediately carried away to the mountains in the Provence: that is where, probably at the age of 7 or 8, I had my first encounter with this amazing herb, in its best form: in the wild. We could find Wild Thyme after a beautiful hike to La Chapelle de St.-Médard. There, many years before I would become interested in its Latin name, the harsh habitat and unusual growing habit of the plant was most surprising to me; it looked like the herb was simply growing on the rocks, without any soil. Indeed, Thyme is a very hardy plant and enjoys a well drained soil in a very sunny position.

I use Thyme practically every day. It accompanies any soup or stew I make and is happily releasing it's aroma whenever I need to glaze some onions or braise some vegetables. And if I am not using it in the kitchen, it serves as a powerful tonic or my number one medicine: Thyme has very effective anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties and its infusion, if drunk a few times a day, will cure colds, respiratory disorders and relieve digestive problems. A strong infusion of wild Thyme will increase athletes' performance.


Thyme is one of the predominant herbs in the famous Herbes de Provence mixture. I gave this mixture my own name: 'Neighbour herbs'. Yes, next time when you are having that poolside barbecue ('braai' for the South-Africans), generously poor some of the mixture over the meat or fish you are grilling - and you will understand why.

There are many varieties of Thyme, of which some are purely decorative and have a lesser culinary value. But Lemon Thyme undoubtedly deserves a special place in your herb garden; next time you feel like offering your guests a special treat, try making Lemon Thyme sorbet or simply have Bacon and Thyme:

"Those herbs which perfume the air most delightfully, not passed by as the rest, but, being trodden upon and crushed, are three; that is, burnet, wild thyme and watermints. Therefore, you are to set whole alleys of them, to have the pleasure when you walk or tread."
Francis Bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment